2014 Montana Host Sites
- Assist with Wind for Schools project, facilitating small wind demonstration installations and associated curriculum at rural schools in Montana;
- Assist with the presentation and implementation of home energy savers workshops and presentations around the state;
- Work on energy monitoring feedback program to disadvantaged residents as part of the home energy workshops;
- Help coordinate NCAT's sustainability and carbon reduction plan;
- Develop and distribute energy related education and outreach materials;
- Assist with sustainable energy outreach through the Montana Green Power website and newsletter;
- Assist with the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a program that helps low-income households pay their home heating and cooling bills.
- Model environmental education and community-selected stewardship activities in pre-K through Grade 6 programs in rural areas such as Havre, Blackfeet Reservation, Fort Belknap Reservation, and Rocky Boy's Reservation;
- Interview key educators in rural and tribal communities on local environmental issues and needs to identify culturally sensitive approaches for environmental education;
- Implement on-going, school-based stewardship initiatives in 4 locales, supported by facilitation and technical assistance;
- Promote replication of environmental education, community decision-making, and stewardship initiatives throughout region.
3. Lewis and Clark County
Lewis and Clark County is a county located in the U.S. state of Montana. As of the2010 Census, the population was 63,395. Its county seat is Helena. The county was established in 1865 as Edgerton County, and was renamed "Lewis and Clark County" two years later. Lewis and Clark County is part of the Helena Micropolitan Statistical Area.
- Coordinate the Lewis and Clark County Green Team to educate county employees about energy conservation strategies, recycling at county facilities, reducing environmental impacts of products purchased and promote sustainable transportation;
- Coordinate and provide support for the Citizen Conservation Board to oversee and advise the county's efforts to conserve resources within county operations and throughout the community;
- Assist with implementation of greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals identified in the Helena Community Greenhouse Gas Assessment;
- Educate the public about the tri-county small business efficiency program which offers free energy and water audits to encourage small businesses in Lewis and Clark, Jefferson and Broadwater Counties to make energy and water efficiency upgrades;
- Compile energy conservation resources for inclusion on the county's Green Team website and maintain a website which highlights city and county planning and conservation achievements;
- Catalogue best practices and methodologies for cities and counties across Montana to complete climate action plans and greenhouse gas inventory assessments.
- Consult appropriate city staff to identify and compile existing or planned measures intended to conserve energy or reduce greenhouse gas emissions;
- Collaborate with the steering committee and appropriate city staff to compile and research other potential conservation or greenhouse gas reduction strategies relevant to the City of Missoula's operations;
- Coordinate with appropriate city staff and equipment vendors to identify implementation costs and projected savings for both planned and potential new measures;
- Prioritize new measures according to feasibility and cost/savings analysis;
- Establish a regular reporting system to quantify municipal energy usage and emissions on a quarterly or annual basis;
- Draft an Action Plan that reflects the research and prioritization listed above;
- Communicate with the Mayor's office to publicize both the planning process and work product so that it can serve as an example and inspiration to other communities, institutions, and businesses in the Missoula area.
- Provide analysis and outreach related to inventorying the current street lighting system in the City of Bozeman and potential LED upgrades;
- Assist city departments in the development of a comprehensive database of lighting districts and accounts in the city;
- Provide outreach to and collect feedback from the local utility, home owner associations and community members about street lighting projects to help prioritize energy savings opportunities and create city wide project awareness;
- Collaborate with individuals and students at Montana State University on sustainability projects related to the City Climate Action Plan and energy education:
- Organize a passive solar design workshop;
- Assist with outreach and education related to the Gallatin Earth Celebration;
- Organize a Climate Action Plan community workshop;
- Assist with recycling education and outreach in public schools.
6. Browning Public School
Browning Public Schools is a community of families, students, staff, and Board of Trustees who work to provide the very best education for all our children through guidance, teaching, support, and appropriate rules and policies.
- Provide education and leadership to students in identifying and implementing energy conservation strategies;
- Teach energy awareness classes to K-12 students;
- Develop and lead after school Energy Corps "club" to create student awareness of energy issues;
- Assist the District Maintenance Director in identifying facility energy saving strategies by analyzing current energy audits and facilitating additional energy assessments and audits where necessary;
- Collaborate with utility companies to identify energy reduction opportunities and incentives;
- Research energy saving techniques and make recommendations for energy saving strategies;
- Develop energy awareness training for school district staff.
- Provide outreach and education to agricultural irrigators and the community at large about energy efficiency and the existing opportunities for energy reduction;
- Develop a curriculum on climate change to introduce into the Healthy Kids Healthy Forests (HKHF) program;
- Implement and deliver curriculum in Ravalli County schools;
- Provide outreach to community partners working in the energy field to help analyze current community energy awareness and develop strategies for the RC&D to serve as a resource for alternative and renewable energy activities in the area.